06 March 2009

Inspiration: silhouettes

LOVE this spread in a recent Country Living:



















and I'm flattered they included Butterfly Jubilee in the mix (top right).  I have that exact wallpaper in my library and while I am typically not a theme-y person, I've hung a few silhouettes on those walls.  



















These are silhouettes of my daughter, Clara.  I made the top piece by combining two photos I had taken.  The lower one was snipped in a matter of minutes by an artist wielding the biggest pair of scissors I have ever seen.  I'm still in awe of the magic we witnessed when she perfectly captured Clara's profile while Clara sat patiently in front of her for just a few minutes!

I don't love all silhouettes, but good ones can be wonderfully mysterious and haunting.  They represent that which once was, a fleeting moment in time, captured only by a shadow.  I've always been fascinated by the Surrealist concept of the "phantom object" and good silhouettes possess this quality.  Like this piece:



















Rodney and I purchased this collage by Mike Miller at Yard Dog in Austin.  Miller collects vintage photographs, cuts out the subjects in the photos, then reverses the images in his signature collages. 

No comments: